The Story of C.R.E.A.T.E.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Mini-car

The mini-car


I could see that he wasn't participating with his group. They were gathered around the final assembly of their cardboard cubby prototype (see Cubbies: From Need To Knowledge Part I.) They were fitting scale-model shelves into scale-model uprights. He was hunched over what looked like a tiny piece of scrap cardboard.

Without questioning his seeming self-imposed isolation, I asked him what he was working on. Silently, he showed me the most amazing thing. A tiny car, perhaps two inches long, with a tiny steering wheel, impossibly tiny foot pedals and working doors with millimeter-sized handles.






I oohed and ahhed and asked him about it. What I did not do was question his choices. There was no way to know for sure what he was thinking without embarrassing him in front of his group. Perhaps he felt that he didn't fit-in as the only boy in his group. Perhaps he was simply bored with the prototyping process. But I could be sure of one thing. What he did not feel was disapproved of.

No comments:

Post a Comment